Newfoundland Athletic Dog Association, Inc. is a member-based not-for-profit organization located in St.John's, NL, and was founded May 27, 2007 and incorporated in June 2007. Our club is a member of the Agility Association of Canada (AAC) and the North American Flyball Association (NAFA), and we abide by the rules and regulations of these organizations.
We offer classes in dog sports foundations, agility and flyball to both members and non-members who are interested in trying out the sports. All are welcomed and encouraged to try, and non-members may apply to be added to the wait list.
Membership comes with the benefits of discounted prices on courses and participating in the classes and drop-ins for more advanced dogs. Members are expected to complete volunteer hours (10 hours/ year), and these hours could include assisting at trials, helping out at fundraisers, and serving on various committees. Other contributions based on members' talents and interests are also always welcome! To be considered for membership, handlers must adhere to:
NADA's Training Philosophy & Core Values:
- We do not condone the use of corrective collars, harsh corrections, or even “No” while training.
- We use shaping primarily (and if necessary, luring for a short time before resuming shaping).
- We do not use punishment in our training regimes. Timeouts and extinguishing regimes are options for correcting unwanted behaviours.
- Flooding and corrections are not in our training regiments.
- We support the use of clickers and verbal markers in our training and the use of toys and food treats to serve as rewards and motivators.
- We value the bond that is created between each individual and his or her dog.
- We take care to work to strengthen that bond through positive reinforcement methods and eschew negative reinforcement or punishment.
- The purpose of all of our endeavours in the various sports is to have fun and to help create a dog/handler team that works enthusiastically together.
For membership enquiries please email email@example.com.
All of our classes are taught by NADA members who volunteer their time to the club, as both instructors and instructor assistants. Without the efforts of these members we would have no classes to offer!